Marchwood Laboratory Services (MLS) is able to undertaken analysis of samples of soil and sediment for a range of inorganic and organic trace contaminants. MLS is capable of testing soil in accordance to the Dutch list required by National Environmental Agency, Jurong Town Corporation & Maritime Port of Authority for dredged materials. The laboratory in UK has a valid soil importation license issued by the Department of Environment, Food and Rural affairs (DEFRA) Samples which enables samples to be received from all over the world. Samples that could not be handled by MLS like Dioxins and Furans will be sent through to our UK laboratory, Marchwood Scientific Services (MSS).
Dioxin and PCB Analysis
In the Millbrook laboratory soil or sediment samples are analysed using the latest techniques. The first stage in the analysis process utilises solvent extraction, either by soxhlet or automated extractor.
The extracted samples are then subjected to a chromatographic clean-up and then analysed by High Resolution Gas Chromatography-Mass Spectrometry.
The analysis suites offered include Dioxins and Furans to enable calculation of the International Toxic Equivalent Value (I-TEQ); the WHO-12 suite of Dioxin-like PCBs and EC-7 PCB suite. All of these compounds can be quantified to extremely low limits of detection.
Additional analyses offered includes PBDEs, PFOS/PFAS, and Pesticide Residues.
Testing services that we are providing:
- Physical parameters such as pH, Moisture content, Organic Matter, Solids, etc.
- Organic – VOC, SVOC, TPH (Diesel & Gasoline), Pesticides, PCBs, Phenolic content.
- Inorganic –Nutrients, Metals (mineral and trace elements) in ppm and ppb range, Cyanide, etc.
- Bioaccessibility/Bioavailability Arsenic and Lead
- Fall/Settling Velocity by Owen tube method
- Materials finer than 75 um
- Toxicity Characteristic Leaching Procedure (TCLP) by USEPA and EN protocols
- Environmental Baseline Study (EBS) testing in accordance to Dutch Standard
- Testing for IBA, IFA and waste characterisation